Fair goldfairtrade | fairmined
Shop with a good conscience.
ONLY THE BEST
I like to contribute to a more sustainable gold mining practice and a more conscious world. If I make a piece of jewelry, such as a wedding ring, I put all my love and passion in to it, I want every step towards my final product to be based on well considered choices. Investing in sustainable gold has a direct positive effect on gold mining.
Fairtrade | Fairmined
I am an official licensee at Fairmined. Visit https://fairmined.org/ for detailed information. Fairmined is a label of the Alliance for Responsible Mining. They make fair gold possible. Certified gold gives you the guarantee that you know where your gold comes from.
Why Fairtrade gold?
Unfortunately, gold mining causes major damage to people and the environment, so gold smiths see little of the true value of their gold. Gold is mined worldwide in both large and small-scale. The miners work under very poor conditions and no responsibility is taken for the damage to the environment caused by mining or the destruction of agricultural land and water pollution due to the use of heavy metals.
Workers are stuck in a system with little prospect of a better life, no education for their children and poor healthcare. When a mine changes into becoming a Fairtrade certified mine, the system can be broken. And that makes a big difference.
Almost all ‘ordinary’ gold used in the jewelry industry is recycled. Yet I prefer to choose Fairtrade gold. Why? Recycled gold is fine of course, in that respect our industry has always been sustainable. But recycling gold does not change anything at the core of the issue which is the mining of the gold. Because there are still major changes needed to improve gold mining, I think that FAIRMINED is the right choice for a sustainable future.
TRANSPARANT AND FAIR
What are the benefits for the miners?
- A guaranteed fair price for the minerals.
- Mining organizations affiliated with Fairmined are traditional and small-scale. Small-scale mining has less impact on the environment.
- The (cooperative) mining organizations receive an additional premium of USD 4000 per kg of gold sold. This premium is to invest in better living and working conditions for the miners and community. Such as safer working environment. health, education, infrastructure, energy and community projects.
- Legitimacy with the government, national and international audiences and the industry.
- Access to a network of miners and experienced allies as well as mining support organizations.